Tuesday 23 July 2013

9 to 5 The Musical - Review


I love the film, I'm a big fan of Dolly Parton and musicals - goes without saying that I was going to see this and love it! I wasn't going to miss my chance to see this, I had to go on my own.
I had been waiting with cautious optimism that I would get the chance to see this, since its Broadway run in 2009; I first thought if it ever came over here I'd have to make another trip to London to see it, then the tour was announced and there was no Cardiff date I was very disappointed... until a Cardiff run was added to the tour.

The cast was amazing! Jackie Clune seemed to be channeling Lily Tomlin, and Amy Lennox held her own in the role that is essentially Dolly Parton. Both of them had great voices but the real surprise was Natalie Casey, I watched all series of Two Pints of Lager... (yes, even the last few) and I never imagined she could sing like that. Her '11 o'clock number' Get Out and Stay Out blew me away. The other surprise was Bonnie Langford, I've never seen her in musical-action and her voice and legs are amazing!

The music was all written by Dolly Parton, which means there wasn't a weak number in the entire show (biased review?!).

The show was funny and watching it reminded me of Hairspray, which is still the funniest musical I've seen, although how much of that was due to Michael Ball's performance is impossible to say.
I loved the set also, that whole 70s thing going on framing the stage and as a curtain. The whole show made me want to live in the 1970s (a frequent fantasy) and buy a pet rock!


0 comments:

Post a Comment