Monday 23 April 2012

'Smash'! (But is it...?)

The initially camp start (glittery dress, Over the Rainbow) is cut short with one auditionee ushered out and the next one in getting her arse perved at –  the ‘we are not Glee’ message couldn’t have been clearer if it was flashed up onscreen. This is further put across with the introduction of all the grown up characters and their grown up problems, Debrah Messing’s character and her husband are trying to adopt added to her job as the musical's co-writer causes friction in their marriage; an aspiring actress with parent issues; a veteran chorus girl.
I must admit I’m getting a bit bored of Glee, I find myself fast-forwarding through a lot of the singing, and due to the fact half the characters will be leaving soon I might stop watching it. I had high hopes for this, especially because Anjelica Huston is in it (with the same hairstyle as she sported in The Witches) ... and Bernadette Peters! As I thought she would Huston steals the show, simply by walking down a corridor! I wasn’t too excited about Jack Davenport involvement though, I was never a fan of ‘Coupling’ and I’d go as far to say he is the least memorable of ‘This Life’. I just couldn't see it myself "Really, Jack Davenport in a musical drama series playing a sleazy Bob Fosse type? A choreographer!?" He seems to do sleaze well at least... The first dance rehearsal/number took
But it isn't Glee, most of 'musical' scenes in that are played to the other characters, singing cover songs; Smash has original songs and the of the pilot ended with a character walking down a New York street belting out a tune! Well if that's not musical I don't know what is. I read a review that said it's got more in common with Dennis Potter than anything else; as I studied The Singing Detective in Uni I am looking forward to these similarities showing through. . . Maybe I'm too old for Glee now anyway! Besides, Sky Atlantic hasn't disappointed my so far.
. . .

The most surprising thing about this new series is the fact A. A.Gill, writing in The Sunday Times' Culture, seems to actually like it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment