Friday 17 August 2012

Legally Blonde


Just as I was about to, begrudgingly, book three of the cheapest tickets for Legally Blonde at the Wales Millennium Centre (honestly, the actors look like ants it's so high up) I happened to notice a Facebook email telling me I had won 4 tickets. I'm never that lucky!


The musical, based on the 2001 film starring Reese Witherspoon, deals with a seemingly stereotypical blonde sorority girl who gets in to Harvard law school to follow her boyfriend who's dumped her for someone serious. While there she learns to use what she has (brains and fashion knowledge) to win a big murder case, and teaches others that old lesson of judging a book by its cover! That old stuff!

This musical is actually funny, funnier than I expected it to be, and not just dialogue, it's also lyrically funny. The actors having to be able to sing and show off their comedy chops was given a prime example in the performance of Rhona McGregor as Paulette (understudying for Jennifer Ellison who had to pull out temporarily). The other surprise being Iwan Lewis as Emmett who's voice reminded me of Christian Borle who I'd seen in 'Smash' (on Sky Atlantic) and I later found out originated the role on Broadway! As Elle Woods, Faye Brookes must have the toughest time with two sets of boots to fill - that of Reese Witherspoon and Sheridan Smith (I unfortunately didn't get to see her in the role but her comedy acting even comes through on the cast recording) who won an Olivier award for her West End performance in the role. Brooks more than filled these with her voice and comedy acting. Gareth Gates, the other 'big' name in the show was the weakest link, he just isn't good (my opinion) but he wasn't awful that he ruined the show and the other actors around him were just so much better, and his part isn't really that big, that you didn't really notice him that much.

The music and choreography were exceptional, especially the second act opener 'Whipped Into Shape' which must be really hard to sing and do what are essentially exerciser dance moves and skipping. For a touring set the set itself is pretty good, and anyone (me) who didn't see the West End production the it sets the scenes of a Harvard Law school and Paulette's salon really well.

It's camp, frothy fun and it was better than I expected. It's entertainment at its best!

0 comments:

Post a Comment