Friday 1 June 2012

Scissor Sisters - Magic Hour

Since I'm not going to see anything for a while I thought I'd do this.

In an ideal, yet impossible world, a new album by your favorite band would be exactly the same and freshly different at the same time. It's probably fair to say that the Scissor Sisters are my favorite band so their new album, from a personal view, is the most eagerly anticipated release of 2012. A new album from them is preceded with a sense of excitement tinged with a little bit of dread; it's going to be too much of a departure or maybe too samey, that kind of thing. Coming only two years after their last album, which by contrast followed a four year gap, the worry is that it was too rushed. The input from Calvin Harris also brings worries of 'stunt collaborations'. The album opens with Baby Come Home, the second single, which is clearly the most recognisably Scissor Sisters' song. If there's anything wrong with this album it's that there is no clear musical style running through it. There's the pseudo rap of 'Shady Love', Ibiza anthem-like 'Only the Horses', calypso-styled 'San Louis Obispo' and the sort-of Will Powers-like, Ana Matronic-led bizarre brilliance of 'Let's Have a Kiki'. I think 'Year of Living Dangerously' is the song that most recalls their first album, in particular 'Laura' and Return to Oz' (which I love). I n short there were some tracks, on first listen, that I didn't give much thought about but I'm sure on my second or third listen to the album I'll love it all; after all, I loved their 2nd album which was critically their weakest.

0 comments:

Post a Comment